Il corso fornisce le nozioni fondamentali sulla dinamica rotatoria di un satellite, sui sensori e gli algoritmi per la determinazione dell'assetto, sugli attuatori e le leggi per il controllo d'assetto. In particolare, vengono presentati i seguenti argomenti: moto angolare di satelliti rigidi, analisi delle condizioni di stabilità, rappresentazione e predizione dell'assetto, analisi dei dispositivi per il rilievo ed il controllo d'assetto, manovre e controllo d'assetto. Inoltre il corso fornisce, attraverso un esercizio progettuale, le competenze fondamentali per il progetto di missioni spaziali. Fornisce inoltre le competenze di base relative alle principali attività di integrazione, test e qualifica per la componentistica spaziale.
- Space system engineering: process, lyfe cycle, standards; whole system of system design strategies
- Space environment: Sun, vacuum, radiations, atmospheres, magnetic field, micro-gravity, debris, their effects on space hardware, countermeasures and open points
- Trajectory design: advanced mission analysis for preliminary mission design: constellations and formation flying, entry descent and landing, low thust trajectories sizing, non keplerian orbits design, B-plane, tisserand's planes, universal variable. Launchers: availability, principle for selection; performance.
- GNC: navigation principles, autonomous and ground based, relative and absolute navigation: sensors and architectures, basic solving chain; guidance and control concepts: station keeping, trajectory control maneuvers
- Propulsion subsystem: chemical, electric, advanced propulsion solutions: principles, propellants, technological solution, available technology, performance and limitation, testing process, on going research; feeding solutions, architectures, sizing process.
- Telecom and Telemetry subsystem: signal manipulation, encoding and modulation, transmittion principles, international regulation, technological solution, available technology, performance and limitation, testing process, on going research; ground stations availability, signals manamgement and whole mission TMTC typical architectures, sizing process.Effects on on and dependences from the whole system design.
- Electrical Power Subsystem: power generation and storage principles; main space domain solutions sizing, technologicl solutions, availability, performance and limitation, testing process, on going research; electrical subsystem possible architectures, benefits and drawbacks. power budget generation and sizing process;effects on on and dependences from the whole system design.
- Thermal control Subsystem: thermal exchange in space: environment and criticalities, passive and active control approaches, principles for thermal flux control, available technology, performance and limitation, testing process. Sizing process, mid-complexity thermal network solving, numerical approach and available standardized utilities; effects on on and dependences from the whole system design.
- Attitude determination and Control subsystem: recall of the attitude dynamics determination and control principles: available architectures for space vehicles; available equipments for determination and control ( sensors and actuators):performance and limitations. Pointing budget generation;sizing process according to requirements, effects on the whole system design.
- On board data handling subsystem: possible architectures in terms of buses, processors, memories; available technologies and trends; performance and limitation, preliminary sizing process.Effects on and dependences from the whole system design
- Structural and configuration subsystems: approach to settle the space vehicles configuration; possible solutions and driving factors; dependence on the whole system design. structural loads; materials and shape selection; mono and multi-nodal analysis: approach and tools; sizing process and driving factors; testing phase. Effects on and dependences from the whole system design.